Monday, February 27, 2017

Sometimes, you just have to have some fun.

It was an unseasonably warm Wednesday in Raleigh, and the morning traffic moved swiftly and seamlessly along the beltline. With Six Forks Road just ahead, I transitioned into the far right lane. Admiring the pinks and yellows beginning to peak in the skyline in front of me, I considered my busy day ahead. Then, making the wide, righthand turn along the exit ramp, my head began to bounce, and I found myself singing. 

I got this feeling inside my bones
It goes electric, wavey when I turn it on
All through my city, all through my home
We're flying up, no ceiling, when we in our zone

Music can generate immediate happiness, and Can't Stop the Feeling, by Justin Timberlake is just a feel.good.song. 

As I parked among the sea of cars in our parking lot, I thought about the spontaneous fun that I was having as I jammed out in my vehicle. Sharpening the saw is important. Carroll needs a spontaneous dance party, I decided. 

Immediately upon entering the building, I broke the news to our teacher leaders. "Have your iPads ready to record at 9:15 a.m.," I announced, "and be ready to stand up and get down. Don't be shy."

When 9:15 a.m. came, this is what happened. 

Thank you, Mr. Snarey, for the video.

It's amazing the positive impact that 5 minutes of spontaneous fun can have on a middle school learning environment --- even for the kids who haven't found their groove --- yet

11 comments: